- 2 cups prepared quinoa (preferably cooked in chicken stock)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into cubes
- 1-1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and place in a roasting pan. Roast sweet potato cubes in the oven about 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and browning. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Coat a large frying pan with olive oil and begin heating over medium heat. Add onion, celery and bay leaf to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary, thyme and sage (along with a pinch of salt) to the pan with the onions and celery and continue cooking, stirring often, another 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa to a large bowl. Add roasted sweet potato cubes to the quinoa. Add the onion, celery, garlic herb mixture to the quinoa (discard the bay leaf) and stir together well.
- In the same pan you cooked the onion, celery garlic mixture, over medium-high heat, add the diced apple and cook about 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add cooked diced apple to the quinoa.
- Add raisins, nuts, apple cider vinegar, parsley and cumin to the quinoa and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste.