- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped (or 1t. ground dry sage)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- parmesan cheese (Garnish)
- Add oil, garlic and onion to large stockpot over medium heat. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sage, salt, pepper, broth and squash (if adding cauliflower do so now)
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until squash has a tender consistency).
- Use stick blender to lightly puree, leaving some chunks, or puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender and return to pot.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and more fresh sage (if desired)
NOTE: I love to add in 2 cups of cauliflower. This ups the fiber and nutrients and makes it lower in calories per serving, plus you don’t compromise on taste. You can also add in a cup of red lentils to make this a hearty soup with protein.