These cookies not only taste amazing, but are filled with oats (fiber), heart healthy fats (nuts) and are lower in sugar than your typical cookie. Plus they are naturally gluten free and contain protein to help keep you full! They are the perfect cookie for your holiday party. Keep in the freezer and warm up before eating.
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut (or you could try and sub more almond meal, oats, or even GF flour blend)
1/4 cup dark chocolate (chips or chopped bar)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup packed organic brown sugar or muscovado sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
1/4 cup aquafaba (the brine/liquid in a can of chickpeas)
2 Tbsp almond butter (or other nut or seed butter)
3 Tbsp avocado oil or melted coconut oil*
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, oats, coconut, vegan chocolate, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, beat aquafaba (using a handheld mixer or by whisking vigorously) until light and fluffy and loose peaks have formed. (Add a little cream of tartar to help them along if not whipping.)
3. To the aquafaba, add the almond butter, oil, and vanilla (optional) and beat or whisk to combine. (The mixture will deflate a little - that's OK). Then add to dry ingredients and mix until combined. You should have a firm, semi-tacky dough (see photo). Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Scoop chilled dough into roughly 2-Tablespoon amounts and form into small discs. Place on baking sheet with about a 1-inch gap in between each cookie to allow for spreading. There should be about 12 cookies.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Be careful not to burn (especially on the bottoms) - they bake quickly toward the end. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
7. Store leftovers in a loosely sealed container at room temperature up to 3-4 days, or in the freezer for 1 month. We recommend storing them in the freezer once cooked to help retain their crispy exterior. These are so delicious when warm and dipped in almond or hot chocolate!
Adapted from www.minimalistbaker.com
STILL LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT GIFT FOR YOUR LOVED ONE?
Nothing is better than the gift of health! 5 spots left for my Thrive Women program launching Jan, 3rd. Head into the new year with a new outlook, healthy habits and a leaner stronger body! This program has been designed especially for WOMEN. Get out of the menopause rut and finally feel in control of your nutrition and fitness so you can THRIVE!